When someone in your home has allergies, it can be a bit of a complex dance to identify and remove the sources. Sometimes, the source is easily identified simply because it is a common allergen--pets and mold fall into this category. But what about the lesser-known allergens that aren't as common? You may be surprised to learn that these common substances and items could be responsible for allergic reactions, but it's true. Read through the list below to learn more.
Wait, water? Yes--you can be allergic to very hot or very cold water, surprisingly. This is known as aquagenic urticaria. The majority of patients experience itching, welts, and mild respiratory distress when exposed to anything containing water.
Unfortunately, a small number of people with aquagenic urticaria experience symptoms that are much more severe. While rare, it is possible to be so severely allergic that even drinking pure water causes blistering within the mouth. Researchers continue to investigate the processes behind this type of illness, as the blistering doesn't seem to be tied to a traditional histamine response. There is evidence that aquagenic urticaria may be genetic in nature.
High Pile Carpet
Carpet is fantastic underfoot. If you purchase a style that's luxurious, deep, and knotted with high pile, you may think you're making your home a plush palace--but you could also be triggering sensitivities, too. The problem with high pile is that it does an excellent job of hiding other allergens, so substances like mold, pet dander and even plant material from outdoors can become trapped within it.
As most people don't consider their carpet to be a source of allergens, they will simply vacuum it well and move on. Unfortunately, vacuuming is rarely enough to remove all allergens found in the majority of carpets. It is for this reason that high-pile carpet is a poor choice for homes with allergy sufferers.
It is possible to get the best of both worlds--use a low-pile, condensed carpet that's designed for high-traffic areas instead. Better still is using hardwood flooring and a large, washable rug. Running it through an industrial washer every few weeks will help to remove most of the dust, dander and allergens trapped within it.
Anyone who isn't allergic to money is likely to have a good laugh if you suggest the allergy exists, but being allergic to metal-based coins is a real condition. It's not the money itself you're allergic to, it's the materials used within them. Every American coin except for the penny, the Presidential Dollar, and the Native American Dollar contains nickel, a metal that can cause contact dermatitis and/or hives.
If you suspect you are allergic to coins, using a debit or credit card while out and about is obviously preferable. If this isn't possible, try to reduce the amount of time your hands are in contact with the coins--consider asking store clerks to deposit them directly into a purse or pouch. When you must handle the coins at home, use latex gloves as a barrier.
Formaldehyde Via Fabrics
The fabrics you use both on your furniture and in your clothing can sometimes be a source of allergies, too. Many of these are treated with formaldehyde prior to sale, and that's nothing to sneeze at! While the majority of this substance is rinsed out prior to hanging on the racks, some people are sensitive enough to it that they will still react. This is especially true if a fabric has been treated to be stain-resistant or water-resistant.
Avoiding formaldehyde-treated fabrics isn't always easy. Most dermatologists agree that materials made with pure cotton, polyester, acrylic, nylon, or silk are best for those with sensitivities. When in doubt, always phone the manufacturer to request more information.
Living with allergies can be frustrating, but there are many new treatments available to help reduce your reactions. If you suffer from allergies, reaching out for assistance can help you to find ways to cope and live a better life. Contact an allergist today or visit http://www.oakbrookallergists.com for more information.
Ever since I was a young girl, I have had bad asthma and allergies. I had to stay in the hospital several times when I was in elementary school just to help get my asthma under control and it seemed like I was trying medication after medication with little success. I don't remember all of my childhood health details, since I was so young, but my mother has "filled in the blanks" for me. Thanks to modern medicine and a natural remedy, my health conditions are currently under control and have been for a few years now. I am very grateful for my good health, and I want to "pay it back" to others by creating a blog where I will post my health tips. I hope I can help you learn how to achieve good health!